So the other day I got myself a new MacBook Pro. I chose not to use Migration Assistant this time around, so I could install everything from scratch and avoid the build-up of cruft from previous upgrades getting onto my new notebook.
One job was installing GSAK. The Wine install went like a dream and I was able to import the database from the old installation easily using the Restore command.
GSAK gave me a prompt that a new version was available as an update so I thought “what the heck?” and clicked the update link. I was expecting it to freeze as I was running in Wine, not a native MS Windows platform but to my surprise it simply ran the installer and, lo! I had upgraded to 8.7. Happy with that.
A while back, I had to use our old Dell laptop. Well, actually my daughter did. These days I normally manage to avoid the OS-which-shall-not-be-named but needs must (as they say). Anyway, the Dell’s performance was sluggish (I’m being kind here) so I thought I’d see if I could speed it up a bit.
Fool that I am. 🙂
The Dell shipped with Vista. Now I know that Vista had a bad name because of its performance and I could have put XP on it instead (I wasn’t about to fork out for a later version of Windows). However, Vista is basically XP anyway with a bit of gloss so I decided to reinstall Vista and trim some of the fat afterwards.
Booting from the install DVD, formatting the hard disk and running a fresh installation proved easy enough as I remembered from the old days. Then came the inevitable Windows Updates. Obviously, I was using the original DVD and of course it was an old version (SP1) and I had anticipated some updates. But not 148 updates. Even after those were applied, Windows Update magicked (is that a word?) a further 52 out of thin air. And then some more (by this point I had lost count) and it hadn’t even got as far as the enormous SP2 update.
Eventually all the updates were applied and I spent a fun couple of hours switching off all the unnecessary services and features to coax the maximum performance out of it and installed some AV protection and a decent browser (Chrome).
While I was doing all the above, which felt like a day of my life I wouldn’t get back, I was thinking maybe I would make some use of it in due course – to run GSAK for example – but by the time it was all done I’d had enough exposure to Windows for one day (make that several weeks).
Never have I been so pleased to pick up my MacBook Air. 😉