Yep, the old seagate drive is kaput. Having removed it from the enclosure I had an idea. After a bit of a rummage I dug out a spare 2.5″ drive I had left over from a MacBook drive upgrade. Both that and the dud drive had the same SATA interface so I thought, why not?
10 minutes later I had a perfectly serviceable network drive ready to go. It’s nowhere near as big as the old one, either in capacity or physical dimensions, but it will come in handy as a shared drive for odd storage jobs.
Now all I have to do is take the dud one apart before it goes to the Council tip for recycling.
Today I noticed that the external hard drive connected to my router was making strange noises so I powered it off. When I powered it up again it sounded like this. Oh dear.
I think this is even more terminal than the last time this drive failed with the seagate 7200.11 error, the fix for which I explained in this post. Nevertheless, I will connect it directly to my Mac just to see whether I can identify the problem, although I doubt it’s worth salvaging. I am pretty sure it is time to give this recalcitrant drive the old heave ho.
This evening I opened up the failed hard drive with the intention of destroying the physical disk before taking it to the dump for recycling. I discovered that despite the Iomega branding on the case, the actual hardware was a Seagate drive.
When I realised the disk was a Barracuda 7200.11 I thought, “Hang on, I have heard about these”. I remembered drsolly writing about these on his blog so I read that again and then did a bit of research of my own. The problem with these drives is that if you start them up when the internal event log is at line 320 (or something like that) the disk dies, even though all the data is still there on. Anyway, there are a couple of fixes which may (or may not) work in my case so I’m going to have a play with trying to fix it. I need to connect to the disk from a serial port so I’ve ordered an adapter.
I’ll report back when it arrives!