GSAK update

I’ve been unable to get out geocaching for the last few months. Skye (my part time geodog) had ruptured one of her cruciate ligaments so we had to restrict her walks. Finally we decided that she needed an op. to repair it (Maybe this will be the subject of a separate post in due course) which meant even less outdoor activity (for all of us involved in her care).

So I’ve been doing some work on GSAK. One of the things which prevented me from using it fully was that every time I ran a GPX file import, it finished with a Windows memory error and bombed out. I had an old MacBook Air lying around so I updated that to OS X 10.12 (MacOS Sierra) so that it had the same OS as my current MacBook Pro. Then, on the MacBook Air, I downloaded the latest stable version of Winebottler and GSAK8. This latest build allowed me to create an App Bundle using Windows 7 – loads better than the old version I was using (which was probably XP).

The resulting App runs faster than before and is (so far) completely stable. This build has also cured another defect present in the old version, namely the cache details appearing in the split screen view for only the current cache when GSAK launches. With this latest version, scrolling through the list of caches (waypoints as GSAK calls them) causes whichever cache is current to have its details displayed in the bottom screen. Cool.

So, after a bit of testing on the MacBook Air, I deleted the old App, Wine & Winebottler from my MacBook Pro before repeating the installation of the latest stable Winebottler & GSAK.

I should state at this point that before deleting anything from the MacBook Pro, I made sure I had a good backup of the live GSAK database.

Deleting Apps from Winebottler can be done from within Winebottler from the “On my Mac” window:

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 22.22.57

However, while this removes the GSAK App from the Mac’s Applications folder, in my experience not  everything got removed, so I also checked the user’s Library, i.e. for anything starting with GSAK8, in:

Users/~/Library/Application Support/

and these files in Users/~/Library/Preferences/ :

  • org.kronenberg.Wine.plist
  • org.kronenberg.WineBottler.plist
  • org.kronenberg.Winetricks.plist

and moved them to the Trash.

Then it was a simple task to install a fresh copy of Winebottler and then build the GSAK App. Once I’d done that, I restored the database from my backup and registered GSAK with my GSAK licence key, The final task was to obtain a new Groundspeak API key from the Geocaching website. You can find how to do this from the GSAK forum so I’m not going to repeat it here.

Anyway, the new version continues to work well on my MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air will come in handy for testing new versions as and when they drop, I can also take it with me on Geocaching road trips – much less risky than using my MacBook Pro!

 

 

 

Advertisements

New Mac

My MacBook Air (Mid 2012) was getting a bit long in the tooth. Leastways, that’s my excuse. So earlier this week I caved in and bought one of these:

MacBook Pro in a box

In the past when I’ve bought a new Mac, I’ve used Migration Assistant as part of the setup process. This time I decided to start from scratch and set it up “as new”, installing applications and configuring settings such as email “longhand”.  It has taken a bit longer but the MBP is now exactly how I want it and it isn’t bogged down with the inevitable residual cruft you get from previous upgrades (which it would have if I’d migrated from a backup of the MBA).

First impressions: Design, like it. Smaller than my MBA. Keyboard is very different, I expected that from trying it out at the Apple Store. Display – Retina – is a huge improvement over my MBA. The Touch Bar looks to be useful, although I am still mostly using the keyboard shortcuts I’ve built into my memory over the years. I’ll let you know more as I use it. One thing I am missing is the MagSafe connector for the power cable, I really think that’s a retrograde step.

Anyway…

Next step: installing GSAK. !