This evening I opened up the failed hard drive with the intention of destroying the physical disk before taking it to the dump for recycling. I discovered that despite the Iomega branding on the case, the actual hardware was a Seagate drive.
When I realised the disk was a Barracuda 7200.11 I thought, “Hang on, I have heard about these”. I remembered drsolly writing about these on his blog so I read that again and then did a bit of research of my own. The problem with these drives is that if you start them up when the internal event log is at line 320 (or something like that) the disk dies, even though all the data is still there on. Anyway, there are a couple of fixes which may (or may not) work in my case so I’m going to have a play with trying to fix it. I need to connect to the disk from a serial port so I’ve ordered an adapter.
I’ll report back when it arrives!